WYRD's 2009-2010 season
WYRD Productions' artistic producer Rick Miller is proud to announce an exciting 2009-2010 season, featuring continued tours of LIPSYNCH, MacHomer and Bigger Than Jesus, the development of new shows entitled Diamond/Miller and SPEER, and the launch of a new media literacy program at HARDSELL.org.
In the upcoming year, WYRD
will continue to hammer at the barriers between 'art' &
'entertainment', between 'commercial' & 'avant-garde'. Here are
some of 2009-2010's top projects:
- LIPSYNCH: Robert Lepage, Rick Miller and 8
other actor/writers from around the world have created this monumental
9-hour epic production that has toured Canada, the UK, France, Spain,
Australia and Russia. LIPSYNCH will receive its USA premiere in New
York (Oct 2009) and will then run in Montreal (March 2010) and Vienna
(May 2010). More info.
- MacHomer: 141 cities, 642 performances, over
500 000 fans... Few solo shows have enjoyed the runaway success of Rick
Miller's MacHomer, a hilarious mash-up of "the Simpsons" and Macbeth.
Besides the USA and Canadian dates already announced for 2009, there are
several as-yet-unconfirmed events: an Australian tour in Jan/Feb 2010,
an Off-Broadway run in 2010-2011, and a spot on "the Simpsons" 20th
anniversary TV Special! Stay tuned to machomer.com.
- Bigger Than Jesus: Miller and Daniel Brooks' internationally-acclaimed hit play will have two extended runs in the Spring of 2010: Neptune Theatre in Halifax (April 2010) and Théâtre de Quat'Sous in Montreal (June 2010). In addition, the much-anticipated film adaptation of Bigger Than Jesus is now in development for a 2010 release, featuring documentary footage of its remarkable success in 4 languages. Visit the official show site, biggerthanj.com.
- Diamond/Miller: In Miller's first 'two-hander'
since "Into The Ring", he joins forces with Québecois singing sensation
Steeve Diamond for a cross-cultural, multi-genre spectacle featuring
hundreds of impersonations. Produced with Juste Pour Rire,
Diamond/Miller promises to be one of the country's biggest new
commercial hits of 2010. Dates are still tba, but development will
continue throughout 2009-early 2010.
- SPEER (working title): A hypnotic solo monologue covering Speer's 20 years of imprisonment in Spandau, Berlin. Development will continue into 2010 and 2011.
- HARDSELL: The second Miller/Brooks (and WYRD/Necessary Angel) collaboration received its world premiere with Canadian Stage Theatre in Toronto in April 2009, and an international tour is in the works. In the meantime, WYRD is developing an exciting new outreach program centered on some of HARDSELL's major themes: commodification, marketing and identity. Check out HARDSELL.org in the coming months for the new website, outreach materials and media literacy campaign.
With all of this, plus a short film about artist Tom Thomson and a TV pilot in development, 2009-2010 promises to be WYRD's most ambitious year to date. For more info, please visit wyrdproductions.com. http://www.hardsell.org
<< Back to news